Monday, August 24, 2009

Songs

I've noticed these songs and was wondering if anyone else had paid particular attention to them, too.

They sent a little extra prickle up my neck when I heard them and I was sure no one else heard them the way I did, with the obvious exception of "Ruby" by Kenny Rogers.

The first one is "Paint It Black."

"I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes.
I have to turn away until my darkness goes.
I see a line of cars and they're all painted it black.
With flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away."

What went through my eight year old mind was a disabled guy watching his unrequited love walk away and people refusing to look at him.

Even better was the Beatles' "You've got to Hide Your Love Away."

"Here I stand head in hand,
Turn my face to the wall.
If she's gone I can't go on
Feeling two foot small.

Everywhere people stare,
Each and every day.
I can see them laugh at me
And I hear them say

Hey, you've got to hide your love away..."

Again, I was maybe ten years old when this came out by my dev mind was formed by then and for years thereafter, I was frozen whenever I heard what sounded like a "dev" song.

It's hard to remember anything else that's hit me quite as hard as those two songs. I bought the single of "Ruby" and sneak-listened to it when I thought no one else was around.

Nowadays, I know I've heard some songs that may lean toward dev-ness or "look out, you're going to kill yourself."

Here's "High and Dry" by Radiohead:

"Two jumps in a week, I bet you think that's pretty clever don't you boy.
Flying on your motorcycle, watching all the ground beneath you drop.
You'd kill yourself for recognition; kill yourself to never ever stop.
You broke another mirror; you're turning into something you are not.

Don't leave me high, don't leave me dry
Don't leave me high, don't leave me dry

Drying up in conversation, you will be the one who cannot talk.
All your insides fall to pieces, you just sit there wishing you could still make love
They're the ones who'll hate you when you think you've got the world all sussed out
They're the ones who'll spit at you. You will be the one screaming out.

Don't leave me high, don't leave me dry
Don't leave me high, don't leave me dry"

Ooh. Harsh. Someone badly broken while trying to fly.

Any other favorites? Any others spring to mind? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments: