Thursday, March 18, 2010

Maps Lie

I went to a world-famous museum today, wheeling. I did my due diligence first. The blue badge parking lot was just here. The museum's accessible entrance, right next to it. There was an accessible ladies room next to the restaurant.

What the maps didn't tell me were that:

1. The blue badge parking was on a relatively steep slope. I wheeled down it, but it took extra help getting back up.
2. There is only ONE accessible rest room and it's faux accessible. I couldn't fit my chair into the stall.
3. The restaurant (which was very nice and very pricey) was at the end of another incline. One of the security guards came over and pushed me the rest of the way. Going back down was fun and I have to admit, I was very tempted to just keep rolling and maybe run over some people.
4. Unlike the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art that stocks all of its stores with the same things, this museum didn't. I mean that if, say, you see a book on Andrew Wyeth right outside a Wyeth exhibit, if you don't buy it there, it will be at the museum store. If you find, as I did, a couple of cute doo-dads and expect to see them at the museum store, you won't.

There was something about this trip that took a lot out of me.

For one thing, after awhile, I gave up telling people that I was fine and I didn't need any help, thank you. At least ten people asked me. Ten! And honestly, my shoulders and hands were done. So at the end, someone could have wheeled me home and I would have been just as happy.

I was disappointed at how much the maps lie. I know they don't lie at the Metropolitan Museum, having gone there and rented a chair. And I didn't need anyone to push me anywhere.

I'm taking some Aleve. And then I'm taking a nap.

No comments: