Monday, September 28, 2009

It's A Hell of A Town

Went into the city the other day, crutching it.

As instructed by someone who would know, I found the elevators in Penn Station. Not only did they work, but they didn't stink of piss. I needed to go downtown, so for the second time in my life, I took the subway. I didn't have the energy to go in search of the bus stop. I'd already been across the terminal and back.

I suppose because my expectations had been set by the misadventures of others, I wasn't overly dismayed by what I found. And I realized anew that this is no place for wheelers without a bodyguard of bouncers. On crutches, I could go up a couple of steps, but I didn't dare try to go into the tiny, tiny shops in Chinatown.

I thought it was pretty hysterical that one subway stop that has a big wheelie man blue badge on the maps does indeed have a very nice elevator in the station. And when you get to the exit, there's a flight of about 12 steps.

None of it really came as much of a surprise to me until I headed back home.

At the train station, I realized that my choice was to either go down a flight of two dozen steps or down the elevator that reeked of urine. Apparently, it's much harder to curb your bladder in Jersey than NYC. I reluctantly chose the elevator and when I got to the bottom, realized that I would have to walk about three city blocks to get back around to the front of the train station.

This is when I wanted to grab the idiot who had designed this, shake him by the collar and say, "Do you have any idea how stupid this is?" But I was tired and I knew I was cranky. Having to walk those extra blocks did not improve my mood.

I live in a state full of idiots. I don't know why this came as such a surprise to me.

No comments: