Saturday, December 19, 2009

Avatar




I'm surprised I haven't heard more from the wheeling community about the movie "Avatar". The previews that I saw showed a paraplegic who was once a soldier, willingly giving up his human form to not be a para and to be a soldier again.

A number of things strike me.

First, the movie is set in 2154. I truly believe that medicine will advance enough to heal spinal cord injuries in the next hundred years. And I can't believe that technology won't advance to the point where wheelchairs will be necessary. Although in fairness, this
was rolling around a hundred years ago and


<-- this is what's rolling around now. You can do all kinds of things to chairs but wheels are still pretty much wheels.

So I'm surprised "Avatar" can't do much better than that. I just checked out some design sites that have some amazing chairs on them that I have no doubt are totally impractical for those with an SCI higher than T-12.

But the essence of "Avatar" seems to be "I would rather be an alien than have a disability." Wha? The ABs are still rocking that pity thing.

No comments: