Friday, February 12, 2010

Grounded

Unless some minor miracle occurs, there will be no flying around for me this weekend.

Mechanical failure. It's a bitch. I have 1 1/2 casters on my chair.

And this is very embarrassing but my folding chair does not want to unfold. It spent this past week in the trunk of my car and while it didn't get jostled around very much, I wondered if it could have frozen shut. It's been in the house for hours now.

I knew it would be futile to go out in the mainstream looking for that very peculiar six-sided bolt that holds the caster into the prope

r position, but I did give it a try. Truthfully, I want a few spares of the caster-holder-onner assembly.

Of course there are lessons to be learned everywhere and I have learned a couple of things here.

One is that wheelchairs are very complicated machines. If you're going to ride one, you need to know how to maintain it.

Another is that I'm never going to be out without some little toolkit with me.

I will likely spend the weekend trying to find out if any of the wheelchair supply and repair stores around here are open on weekends.

But first I've got to be able to get in the chair.

No comments: