Saturday, July 28, 2012

Out and About

Because of some physical therapy I had to address another issue, I'm finding my upper body strength is increasing. This is good. This is very good. There have been some situations that I've been able to power through that I haven't been able to before.

I need to go out more than I have, but have to admit I live in a very inaccessible part of the U.S. If a wheelchair became a daily part of my life, I would head west or at the very least, head someplace where most things are new. And fairly flat.

I know a lot of people complain about getting too much attention when out in their chairs. I've heard that people say rude things to them. This has not yet happened to me. A woman who was coming out of a store held a door open for me and I told her she'd better move unless she wanted her bare toes rolled over and we both laughed.

But no, no one has come rushing to my aid. I'm figuring this out. It's working.

I've spotted a couple of people who looked like they were just about to come rushing over when I turned around and got myself out of whatever small jam I was in.

Kids notice me because I'm at eye level. Maybe a couple have been pulled away from me. I have no objection to that because I don't particularly like children.

But sales people leave me alone. I like that. The most I ever buy when I go out and about is a snack and the clothing stores I go into have beautiful clothes that range from sizes XXXS to M. I am XXL, so it's all just so much window shopping.

I feel about this invisible in my everyday life. It doesn't bother me.

I wonder how it would be if I was with another person. Would that attract more attention? Is it so unusual to see someone in a wheelchair alone? I think it must be, because I can only recall one time when I saw a guy in a wheelchair by himself. (He was crossing Times Square on an autumn evening.)

No. No more invisible than usual.

But it was good to be out and about. I have to do this more often. Much more often.

No comments: